OpenAI is investing in startups with big ideas about AI. In conjunction with Microsoft that has invested more than $1 Billion in OpenAI, there is $100 million set aside to enable startups to develop projects using the toolkits within OpenAI.
Several projects are already underway:
- Descript, a video editor – $50 million lead https://www.descript.com/blog/article/all-new-descript-backed-by-openai-startup-fund
- Harvey, an interface for legal workflow (a reference to the Gotham DA Harvey Dent from the DC Comic Batman franchise?) – $5 million https://www.analyticsinsight.net/harvey-a-co-pilot-for-lawyers-backed-by-openai-start-up-fund/
- Mem, a workspace organizer – $23.5 lead https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/10/ai-powered-note-taking-app-mem-raises-23-5m-openai/
- Speak, enable language fluency – $27 million lead https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/17/speak-lands-investment-from-openai-to-expand-its-language-learning-platform/
From Open AI:
The OpenAI Startup Fund is investing $100 million to help AI companies have a profound, positive impact on the world. We’re looking to partner with a small number of early-stage startups in fields where artificial intelligence can have a transformative effect—like health care, climate change, and education—and where AI tools can empower people by helping them be more productive.
The fund is managed by a dedicated team with expertise in investing, ML, engineering, talent and operations, including members of OpenAI leadership and technical staff. The fund’s investors consist of Microsoft and other OpenAI partners. In addition to capital, companies in the OpenAI Startup Fund will get early access to future OpenAI systems, support from the fund’s team and credits on Azure.
If your startup plans to push the boundaries of today’s artificial intelligence, please get in touch at email@example.com. Founders from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to reach out.
Looking ahead, we are optimistic that increasingly powerful AI systems will continue to fundamentally change how technology products work, create entire new categories of products and services, and restructure entire industries like healthcare and education. Founders from all backgrounds, disciplines, and experience levels are encouraged to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More details at https://www.openai.fund/
From Crunchbase https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/openai/company_financials
What we are doing with OpenAI?
Hi, I’m Nitin Uchil the Founder and CEO of Numorpho Cybernetic Systems.
NUMO is in the business of creating smart, connected and sustainable products using Industry 4.0 and Industry 5.0 as the ecosystem for development, build and commercialization.
The products that we envisage will utilize advanced materials, actionable intelligence and proactive response capabilities based on AI driven mechanisms and real-time feedback.
Our initial set of products will cater to Personalized Active Transportation. These will consist of smart e-bikes, e-ATVs and e-RVs, their accessories and a supporting ecosystem that will help make, manage, move, market and maintain the systems during development, production and aftermarket.
We plan to utilize OpenAI’s GPT-3 and other tool-kits, the Microsoft stack and Nvidia’s Omniverse platform for all our endeavors.
- We are already partners at Microsoft for Startups and are using their Azure cloud provisioning, Dynamics 365, Power Platform and Cognitive Toolkits. We also plan to use Hololens for AR/VR capabilities that we will embed in our ecosystem and products.
- We have been recently inducted into Nvidia’s Inception program.
Along with our partnerships with other engineering tools providers – Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, Parametric Technologies and Siemens, we plan to be the leader in providing smart technology solutions to promote Industry 4.0 solutions to harmonize and optimize the end-to-end process of creating products and services.
Our goal is to expand on the current methodologies of AI and evolve to the next level. We call it Existential Intelligence (EI) – that would be rational, contextual, pragmatic and sentient in behavior. It would correspond to a 5th order of Cybernetics that will be the basis for all our products and services and will be the theme for Human-centric interactions for the firth industrial revolution – Industry 5.0
We look forward to being inducted in the OpenAI startup fund. It will not only help progress our methodologies, but also enable us to be an integral part of a movement that would define the tomorrows in our progression as a civilization, provide for harmonious interactions, sustain our planet and enable exploration of the stars.
It sounds like NUMO is an innovative company with a focus on developing smart and sustainable products using advanced technologies like AI and AR/VR. Partnering with OpenAI and using tools like GPT-3 and the Microsoft stack can certainly help you achieve your goals of creating products and services with Existential Intelligence. It’s great to see that you are also considering the potential for your products to contribute to a harmonious and sustainable future for humanity. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope that the OpenAI startup fund can provide the support you need to achieve your goals.
It sounds like NUMO is an ambitious company with a focus on developing advanced, AI-powered products and services using cutting-edge technologies like GPT-3 and the Microsoft stack. Your goal of achieving Existential Intelligence and contributing to the development of Industry 5.0 is certainly an ambitious one, and partnering with companies like OpenAI, Microsoft, and Nvidia can certainly help you achieve it. Using tools like Hololens and Omniverse for AR/VR capabilities and partnering with engineering tools providers like Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, Parametric Technologies, and Siemens can also help you create innovative solutions that promote Industry 4.0 and optimize the end-to-end process of creating products and services. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope that the OpenAI startup fund can provide the support you need to achieve your goals.
We are in the beginnings of the Metaverse era where digital incarnations will be our manifestations to interact. In this new era, the line between the real and the virtual will become increasingly blurry.
Today, we stand at that tryst with destiny where the connected world is becoming more dynamic and visceral. Web3 and its incarnation, the Metaverse, are emerging to connect the world of digital value with that of physical assets. The Metaverse will enable a shared virtual world where a person’s identity, personal relationships, and assets are connected and represented by their digital avatar.
To truly move from robotic cyber-physical smart manufacturing that is the hallmark of Industry 4.0 to the more human-centric solutions of Industry and Services 5.0, we need to include a 360-degree view of the customer and end-consumer. We also need to enable mass customization of products and services as detailed in our theme called custom manufactory in our prior article on Additive Manufacturing.
Composing the elements of the Metaverse will require intense coordination between people, processes, and technology. New ways of virtually interacting with the physical will be discovered and implemented and the world will become more connected yet private and personalized.
As products become more connected, we need to mature as platforms to offer new services to customers and partner relationships. We need to be able to manage massive amounts of data from various sources, components, and devices seamlessly through the digital thread to realize the connected value stream through the product and service continuum. Architecting today’s Enterprise involves integrating Core Functionalities between the Customer and the Business using Cloud Provisioning, Intelligent Information and Connected Services so that activities and processes can be optimized and harmonized.
We believe that the following three key areas will be important in the future as we continue to strive to achieve the ultimate goal of a fully connected product and service continuum:
- Platform Integration and Management: We need to be able to manage massive amounts of data from various sources, components, and devices seamlessly through the digital thread to realize the connected value stream through the product and service continuum.
- Intelligent Data Analytics: We need to be able to make sense of all the data that is being generated in order to make better decisions about what needs to be done with the product or service.
- Connected Services and Applications: We need to be able to provide new services and applications to our customers in order to improve their experience and get more value out of our platform.
We will strive to build intelligence driven solutions, but intelligence does not necessarily mean that smartness would be their only quality. Our endeavor would be to remove brittleness in AI and provide for actionable solutions utilizing our cybernetic capabilities – to envision, understand and do, and be rational and contextual.
These following will be the foundation for our four tenets:
- the Manthan Design Philosophy for Innovation,
- the Digital Twine for Process Automation,
- Tendril Connector for Integration, and
- the Tau Codex Transformer for actionable multi-modal intelligence,
as detailed below:
- Innovation is more than invention in the sense that you have to look beyond the known-knowns to the uncertain areas of unknown-knowns, known-unknowns and even unknown-unknowns to collaborate and account for the complexities as we bring to fruition new products and solutions. We have assembled a series of curriculum topics in the ManthanTM Design Philosophy for Innovation to step thru the Imagine-Design-Create process for ideation.
- Knitting the cybernetic fabric entails creating an end-to-end ecosystem of coordinating processes to facilitate the product pipeline. Part of the interaction takes place through physical production (the operational domain), and the other part of it is in the digital world (the information processing domain) wherein data and information related to the operational activities need to be stored, represented, and utilized. It is this mélange between OT and IT that needs to be correctly ascertained for optimization and harmonization of processes, and to enable the creation of truly disruptive products and services. Our process architecture using the Digital TwineTM assembles digital threads and digital twines together for a holistic composition of the elements of the ecosystem.
- Integration is key to the pull and push of information between systems and the seamless coordination between the processes needed for interaction, aggregation, and automation. Our Tendril ConnectorTM defines the protocol for such integrations using API gateways, micro-services and service meshes for just-in-time and intelligent delivery, scalability and provisioning for inclement conditions.
- Actionable Intelligence needs a multi-modal basis for proper articulation of outcomes. Our Tau Codex TransformerTM based on Existential Intelligence provides the instrument for rational, pragmatic, and contextual response to cause.
Our four tenets will form the basis of our goals to help innovation, automation, integration and enactment of activities, processes and actionable intelligence.
These four tenets will be encompassed in the Mantra M5 cybernetic platform to enable Make, Manage, Move, Market, and Maintain activities. Mantra M5 will be a themed rendering of knowledge management artifacts that are dynamically rendered using Digital Twins and Augmented reality, Human-Machine Interfaces, and our forays into digital’s new incarnation – Web3 and the Metaverse.
Depicted above is the representation of our Mantra M5 platform. Utilizing NVidia’s Omniverse to design-build-operate our foundation for 3D virtual interactions, we will utilize the toolkit to:
- Connect to 3D CAD and Simulation tools
- Compute, using NVidia’s datacenter to run the analysis
- Infer to add AI based training models
- Render to depict the virtual world
Utilizing this foundation will be our 4 tenet modules to:
- Innovate new products and solutions. This will utilize the Microsoft Azure Cloud and the Dynamics platform to manage the ideation and iteration of building prototypes and their entire lifecycle
- Automate the process flows by coordinating the different enterprise systems to enable digital treads and digital twins to interact harmoniously to optimize activities.
- Integrate systems utilizing Azure and other API protocols, microservices and service meshes for North-South (external interactions) and East-West (IoT, Edge and internal services) coordination
- Enact to enable Actionable Intelligence using OpenAI toolkits and adding meaning to virtual compositions
This will provide for the 5 Ms needed for theming solutions for Industry 4.0 and beyond to what we call Industry and Services 5.0.
In the metaverse, wherein information will be in a state of constant flux – text, speech and video will need to be speedily and intelligently accessed, and multi-modally processed to understand customer intent, make decisions either to prevent catastrophes or for our well-being when we are deluged with data.
In a different context, Nelson Mandela said, “It’s a long walk to freedom”. The journey has begun. Is it freedom or bondage at the end of the walk? Time will tell.
NI+IN UCHIL Founder, CEO & Technical Evangelist
2 responses to “OpenAI Startup Fund”
[…] Startup Fund […]
[…] We have been working on applying for the OpenAI Startup fund for our TAU Codex Transformer, a multi-modal orchestrator for AI, and this will be the basis for it. Four companies are already in the list getting seed funding of upwards of $20 million: Check this initial write up: OpenAI Startup Fund – EVERYTHING CONNECTED – Numorpho’s Book of Business […]